We can safely say that the winter months can bring a lot of excitement and challenges at the same time for us Canadians. Snowfall and winter storms can paint a pretty picture, but only when we have access to a warm and comfortable home. And heating systems and furnaces are the only things that provide us with this warmth during the freezing weather. Without them, the season can become the epitome of discomfort and cold.
Furnaces play a crucial role in creating warmness for your house and protecting you from the cold. You rely on their proper functioning to make sure you can do your house chores and daily tasks without hindrances and discomfort. However, winter can put a lot of pressure on them and inflict wear and tear on their air filters. Air filters contribute to your furnaces’ optimal performance.
To ensure the best performance of your furnaces throughout winter, you must inspect and replace their air filters timely. Here is how often you should replace your furnace air filters.
Change Your Air Filters Every 3 Months
Air filters play an essential role in protecting your furnace’s delicate parts like the blower fan. Blower fans are responsible for sending out warm air, and the filters protect it from all the dust, gunk, and hair that the return duct pulls in. With time, these air filters begin to fill with dirt and grime and ultimately block the airflow to the furnace. Insufficient flow of air can cause the furnace to break down.
For this reason, it is essential to schedule inspections and maintenance for your air filter by HVAC experts every 90 days. The general rule of thumb is that you should replace your 1-2 inch filters every three months, 3-4 inch filters every six months, and 5-inch filters every twelve months. However, there are some signs that can help you determine whether it’s time to change your air filters.
Signs Your Air Filters Need Replacement
- The air filter is visibly dirty and has dust and grime.
- You have pets in your house who shed fur, fluff, and dander that can quickly clog your filters.
- Someone in your house is allergic, asthmatic, or has breathing problems, in which case you’ll need to keep your indoor air extra clean and replace dirty air filters as quickly as possible.
- Your filters have become wet due to the furnace leaking water.
- You require heavy usage from your HVAC system due to unpredictable weather.
- Your house is more dusty than usual.
- You notice unusual odors coming from near your HVAC unit.
- Someone from your household smokes. Smoke from cigarettes can clog the filters.
- Your furnace’s heater fan also determines the frequency of changing your air filter. If your heater fan is continuously running, then you’ll need to change your air filters every month.
These are some of the signs that can help you determine whether you should change your filter earlier than expected. One way to tell when you need to change the filter is to have it inspected by an HVAC expert regularly.
Schedule Regular Inspections With Nor-Can
Nor-Can Heating & Air is an expert HVAC/heating and cooling company in Edmonton. At Nor-Can, we are responsible for providing our clients with high-end assistance and strive to add value to their HVAC systems by providing them energy-efficient products and services.
When it comes to your heating systems, we want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your furnace. Canada’s winters are harsh, and ensuring your furnace is functioning at optimal performance is our team’s first and foremost commitment.